Re: [OPE-L] questions on the interpretation of labour values

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2007 - 16:46:42 EST

--- Diego Guerrero <diego.guerrero@CPS.UCM.ES> wrote:

> Hi, Ajit,
>

> D:
>
> > That is quite a different thing from what you
> said.
> _____________________
> Ajit:
>

> Not really. A "given market" takes care of all what
> you are saying. In any case, given your averages,
> the
> question still remains on what basis you say that if
> jeans is sold for $100, then its "market value" is
> 100
> hours of labor? That was the question.
> __________________
>

> Diego:
>
> In the last instance, the answer is that it is
> already proven that all new
> value is created by labour alone. That merit
> corresponds to Marx.
________________________
Proven? No! you couldn't mean that.
______________________
 Let's see.
> The argument is: If a and b are true, then c is
> true. And c is: "only labour
> creates value".
>

> a) We start from the principle of exchange of
> equivalents. Then M = C and C'
> = M' in the scheme M - C .P. C' - M'. Therefore,
> value is created in ".P.".
________________________
Let's say M = 500$ and C = 50 tons of iron. How is M =
C? What you want to say is, Pc. C = M, so you already
have introduced price of C. Similarly, when you say M'
= C' is nonsense. What you must mean is M' = Pc.C'.
Now it is also not clear whether your context is a
factory, an industry or the whole macroeconomy and
whether C and C' represent one good or several goods.
So please clarify your situation and then explain what
could you mean by "exchange of equivalents".
__________________________

> b) A commodity is a use-value that has a certain
> value; this value is linked
> to the use-value in such a way that it is maintained
> if the use-value is
> still there and it disappears when and to the extent
> that the use-value
> disappears. No value can be created from nothing.
________________________
So, according to you depreciation, of fixed capital
must always be equal to zero?
___________________

> c) In ".P." there are only three things: 1) means of
> production; 2)
> labour-power; 3) labour.
>
> 1. The value of the means of production disappears
> when the latter disappear
> because they are transformed into a product. At
> most, their value can have
> passed to the value of the product. Therefore they
> cannot create new value.
>
> 2. The labour-power does not disappear at all.
> Therefore workers keep this
> value for them. It cannot create new value.
>
> 3. The only thing that can create value is thus
> labour, the activity of
> workers. The more this activity lasts the more will
> be the new value
> created.
>

> Therefore c is true: only labour creates value.
>

> Do you agree?
__________________________
No! I don't agree. Your number 3 above only says that
value is DEFINED as direct and indirect labor-time
spent in producing a commodity. Now, this everybody
knows. But how on earth you could conclude from here
that if a commodity is sold for $100, its value must
be 100 hours of labor? That's what beats me, and
that's what I want to know. Cheers, ajit sinha

> _________________________
> Ajit:
>
> Yah, but how do you find out what would be the equal
> rate of profits in the system?
> ____________________
>

> Diego:
>
> The value of the product less the value of the means
> of production and
> consumption of workers, all divided by the value of
> the capital invested
>
> ___________________
>

> Ajit:
>
> But since from market prices you have already
> "deduced" that 1 hour of labor = $1, how could
> direct
> price be different from market price?
> ____________________
>

> Diego:
>
> Because to every different measure of value
> corresponds a different measure
> of price, and vice versa. For every magnitude of
> price a commodity has there
> is the corresponding magnitude of value.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Diego

=== message truncated ===

Have a burning question?