Re: [OPE-L] Dynamic model?

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2007 - 13:16:56 EDT

> - That the classics (Smith, Ricardo, Marx) had a fundamentally
> different -  and dynamic model of capitalism is clear, but on can
> discuss if Marx was successful in "proving" his dynamic mental model,
> his main results in a static framework (= the transformation problem
> as conventionally defined).

Hi Anders:

Putting aside the question of whether Marx was successful in proving
"his dynamic mental model", where was it even formally presented?

To believe that capitalism is by its very nature dynamic is quite
different from developing a formal analytic theory which shows
this to be the case.

Doesn't the following listing show that Marx did NOT develop
a dynamic model?

               ******************************

> A lot more could be said about this, but the important point is to
> realize that static equilibrium models are very uninteresting for the
> study of real capitalism. The "new solution" and even TSSI is still
> too "static", or to "un-dialectic" - although on the right track.

Freeman and Kliman like to talk the talk about  capitalist dynamics but
they  have yet to walk the walk.  Whether they are on the "right track"
is another question.  Simply claiming that dynamic analysis is needed
and that Marx's theory was dynamic is not enough: it  has to be shown
rather than merely asserted.

It seems to me that some of  the TSSI authors are caught in an impossible
situation.

On the one hand, Kliman and Co. seek to show that the quantitative aspects
of Marx's theory are internally consistent. Yet, as Fred has argued
convincingly  (in my opinion) citing definitive textual evidence, prices of
production in  the Kliman-McGlone perspective can change for reasons other
than those specified by Marx.  Indeed, to believe that Kliman-McGlone
interpreted Marx correctly on what can change PoP then you have to believe
that Marx didn't  comprehend the meaning of the word "only"!

This means that one of the two following propositions are even
hypothetically  plausible:

either

a)  Marx was wrong and Kliman-McGlone corrected him;

or

b) the Kliman-McGlone interpretation of Marx is wrong.

b) leaves open the question whether Marx's theory was internally consistent.
For the moment, I'll even consider a) to be an open question. In any event,
both a) and b) can't both be true.  Kliman-McGlone need to face up to this
and defend either a) or b), but -- of course -- I don't expect them to do
this.

Returning to the point about the TSSI and dynamics,  for many years we
have heard bluster but where's the proof?   Dynamic theory is needed,
but how many years (if ever) will it be before they develop that theory?
I am reminded of an old Wendy's advertisement -- "Where's the beef?".
It seems to me that Freeman-Kliman are NOT primarily interested in
developing dynamic theory.  Rather, they have the much more limited,
and in my opinion much less interesting, goal of showing that Marx's
quantitative theory was logically consistent.

In solidarity, Jerry