Re: [OPE-L] Andrew Kliman's wikipedia article on TSSI

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2007 - 23:45:51 EDT

Thought I would write something substantive in reply to the wikipedia
entry seemingly submitted by Kliman.

The Wikipedia wrote:

>Second, according to the standard interpretation of Marx's value
>theory, values and prices constitute two distinct and independent
>"systems." With respect to relative magnitudes, prices do not depend
>on values, and values do not depend on prices. Prices of outputs
>depend on the prices of the inputs used to produce them, while
>values of outputs depend on the values of the inputs used to produce
>them. In contrast, the TSSI is a "single-system" interpretation
>since it holds that, in Marx's theory, (a) prices of outputs depend
>in the aggregate on the so-called "value rate of profit" (the ratio
>of surplus-value to capital invested), while (b) businesses'
>investments of capital value, and thus the values of the outputs
>produced, depend partly on the prices of the inputs acquired by
>means of theses investments. Value and price are therefore
>determined interdependently, though they remain distinct.

What this means is that the TSS school insists that the value
transferred from the used up means of production to the produced
commodities is not determined by the value of those used up means of
production themselves but by the value of money required to purchase
those means of production at current prices. Yet Marx clearly argued
the value of a commodity is  determined by the value added by living
labor and value incorporated in the used up means of production.
Indeed for this reason Marx reasoned the price of production of a
commodity differs from its value for two reasons: first, the surplus
value appropriated through the production of commodities is not
proportional to the profits made, given the tendency towards the
equalization of the profit rate; second since price of production is
calculated on the basis of the cost price of a commodity and the cost
price contains a deviation from the value of the used up means of
production, this deviation can only result in a further divergence
between the value of a commodity and its price of production.

But the TSS school holds that the deviation between the prices of
production of the used up means of production and their respective
values cannot be a reason for the divergence between the value and
prices of production of the produced commodities since it holds that
the value of the produced commodities incorporates not the value of
the used up means of production but the value of the money required
to buy those means of production at their current prices of
production. Yet on at least two occasions Marx spoke of two reasons
why the value of a commodity would diverge from its price of
production. The TSS school denies the very possibility of the second
reason for divergence, given above.  This challenge was put to the
TSS school by two participants at the OPE-L list serve, but no
response has yet been made.

However, the TSS school could argue did at times confuse whether the
value transferred from the used up means of production to the
produced commodities was given by (1) their own value or (2) the
value of the money required to purchase them at current prices. TSS
could also argue that its acceptance of the second approach is well
grounded in and indeed demanded by Marx's own theory in spite of
disjecta membra otherwise.  Other theorists who accept the second
approach include  important members of a robust Althusserian school
(Richard Wolff, Stephen Resnick, Antonio Callari and Bruce Roberts)
and Fred Moseley author of an innovative reconstruction which justly
emphasizes the monetary and macro economic character of Marx's value
theory.

Yet the second approach is not well grounded in Marx's own writings
about value theory, but these theorists argue that the defense of
Marx's value theory against the charge of mistakes in his value-price
calculations depend on it (see here von Bortkiewicz and Samuelson on
Marx's putative transformation problem). It is not clear that this is
in fact true (for example Anwar Shaikh calculates value in terms of
the first method in his fixed point iterative solution to the
relationship between value and price), but it also seems that nothing
substantive in terms of Marx's value theoretic analysis of capitalism
(the theory of exploitation and the law of motion of Capital) is lost
if one accepts this second approach.

Some members of the TSS school rightly do not concede that Marx left
his theorization of the relationship between values and prices
incomplete as traditionally charged. It has been argued that even
after Marx transforms the values of the produced commodities into
prices of production, he left the means of production and wage goods
in values or prices which are proportional to values, recognizing the
need for but failing to transform them into prices of production as
well. Yet Marx takes the cost prices of commodities and the invested
sum of money capital as a precondition--given, unchangeable. He could
not have been arguing for the transformation of cost prices or an
already invested sum of money capital. It is true that in the course
of the ninth chapter of Capital, Volume III  Marx has changed our
understanding of what had determined the cost prices--Marx had
allowed his readers to assume they had been determined by the value
of goods but now we see that they had to have been determined
(directly and indirectly) roughly by the prices of production of
goods.

Because Marx assumed that the constant capital outlay portion of the
cost price had been determined by the value of the used up means of
production he also assumed in his transformation tables that the
value transferred could be identified with the cost price of the
goods.

This assumption he says is wrong. That is, Marx never admitted that
he had left the means of production and wage goods in the form of
values or prices proportional to values in his transformation tables
in the ninth chapter of Capital, volume III. As Rakesh Bhandari has
clarified, Marx only admitted that he had wrongly assumed that he
could determine the actual value transferred from the means of
production to the produced commodities from the flow price of the
used up means of production.  But that Marx made this faulty
assumption is irrelevant as no matter the actual value transferred
from the means of production--and it simply cannot be precisely known
as we know that it was not proportional to the flow price of the used
up means of production--the value of any commodity is greater than
its cost price, the value of the produced commodities of any branch
is greater than the cost price of those goods, and the total value of
goods is greater than the total cost price. Which means that  new
value has been added, and it will tend to be distributed according to
an equal profit rate rule on the basis of the given precondition of
the cost prices. And for this reason, among others, the value basis
of economic magnitudes is concealed. This is what Marx set out to and
did in fact establish.

Marx never conceded that he should have go back and transform the
inputs from values to prices of production. The cost prices cannot be
changed after all; they are a given precondition. This has been
particularly well argued by Alejandro Ramos Martinez of the TSS
school.

Marx also never admits to a need for an equilibrium theory of price
in which inputs and outputs are transformed simultaneously into the
same prices of production. The TSS rejection of a simultaneous theory
of price is consistent both with Marx's dynamic understanding of
capitalism and the dynamics of accumulation as well. It is after
allmost  unlikely that the prices of the production of means of
production and wage goods would be identical to the prices of
production of the produced commodities given the ceaseless attempts
to raise productivity, so why should we build on a method which
requires for mathematical completeness that values and prices of
production do not change in the course of production?
The basic TSS challenge is powerful indeed.