Re: [OPE-L] situation in Oaxaca (and a question about Chiapas)

From: Alejandro Valle Baeza (valle@SERVIDOR.UNAM.MX)
Date: Wed May 30 2007 - 11:42:06 EDT

glevy@PRATT.EDU wrote:

>Elsewhere in Mexico: I realize that few members of this list watched the
>"Miss Universe" contest from Mexico City on Monday night. I wouldn't have
>either but family members had it on the television.  There was a rather
>long (and very bad) segment about Chiapas - lauding it as a tourist
>destination.  I wonder (perhaps John H knows): were there any protests
>against the contest in Chiapas when they were filming segments for the
>show?
>
>In solidarity, Jerry

You are right Jerry, I did not watch Miss Universe. Two short comments:
Original location for the event was Oaxaca, the organizers changed
because reasons everyone can understand after reading article by John Ross.
Miss US was booed by upper middle class on the event. I think because
migration issues.

Cordialmente
Alejandro

--