Re: [OPE-L] Complex ... and the French edition of capital

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2007 - 11:25:43 EDT

>Those who say that there is no abstract labor outside commodity producing
>societies are right in one sense: only in commodity producting society,
>all abstract labors are set in relation to each other and are compared
>with each other.

Hans, thank you for your thought provoking messages. A question here:
what do we make of the Critique of the Gotha Programme then in which
Marx argues that in the early stages of communism society will still
abstract from the real laboring activity of living subjects in that
the products of  labor will still be represented in terms of an ideal
or norm--the average simple abstract labor time society requires to
produce it. This right of equal reward for equal labor  is still a
right of inequality (Marx argues) in that it rewards the stronger and
punishes the weaker. In his book on Marx overlooked in the English
speaking world Michel Henry suggests that Marx is ultimately a critic
of abstraction as such from the point of real laboring activity of
concrete individuals.

Rakesh