[OPE-L] Leaders, managers, power

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@TISCALI.NL)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2007 - 06:37:47 EDT

Hi Jerry,

It is true that ideology influences political leaders, but what I am saying
is, that we ought to examine then how it does so and not exaggerate the
importance of intellectual distinctions. There is a big difference between
ideology motivating what a political leader does, and ideology justifying
what he does. Initially, a politician is typically an idealist, but then
when he actually has to do something, he becomes increasingly pragmatic,
even although this pragmatism may itself be rationalised with reference to
ideology.

An interesting example is that of Mr Bush. Palestinian Prime Minister
Mahmoud Abbas said that at Aqaba, Bush promised to speak with Sharon about
the siege on Arafat. He said nobody can speak to or pressure Sharon except
the Americans. According to Abbas, immediately thereafter Bush said: "God
told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me
to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the
problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the
elections will come and I will have to focus on them."

Jurriaan