Re: [OPE-L] Bendien

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2007 - 21:01:54 EDT

Why don't you tell us what you had in mind when you told us that as far as
you know Selbourne was still writing great stuff? Of course in the days
before you wrote that Selbourne has just published another vitriolic
statement against Islam in Timesonline, and let's forget that as you were
writing what was in the press was the controversy over his book  The
Trouble with Islam. How could one not read what you had written as an
endorsement of his politics which had long been conservative and
Eurocentric. Of course you distanced yourself later from what Selbourne
was still writing a few days later.  Just as you lauded David Landes and
then admitted that you needed to think about it, and this was long after
there had been a lot of controversy about his book on the wealth of
nations.  And isn't that the point--you are totally out of control,
recommending one thing one day, taking it back the other in a form of
bipolar writing, writing in a stream of consciousness, then reflecting or
qualifiying what nasty retrograde position you gave your imprimatur to in
public as if there are no consequences to this kind of thing. This is
basically what Cyrus accused you of as you were calling his work a
postmodern joke, and I think he is right. The noise to information ratio
should not be tolerated. Believe if it had been me who wrote what you did
about Cyrus, i would have been booted. But such are standards of this
list. Look you haven't even been booted for writing what you do about me.
Rakesh