Re: [OPE-L] equality versus equivalence

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2007 - 08:03:15 EDT

Hi Fred and Paul,

Paul, you mentioned in an earlier post that Marx's choice of labor (actually
objectified labor) as a scalar was an assertion and was not logically
proved.  And Fred you responded (to Andy and Paul, I think) by saying that
Marx's argument did not constitute a logical proof, but rested instead on
its empirical explanatory adequacy.  I read your arguments in this post on
the strength of Marx's argument, but first I want to understand what it is
you have in mind by insisting that Marx has not offered a logical proof.
Equally (or is it equivalently?), Paul, I want to understand what you mean
that Marx's argument about labor is only an assertion.

Neither of you may intend this, but the argument always seems inevitably to
sound as if this were somehow a failing of Marx's argument:  that he should
have offered a logical proof, but failed to do so.

For example, Paul, is bare assertion the only alternative available to
logical proof in science?

And Fred, does anyone offer logical proofs of such things?  Induction, of
course, doesn't prove.  And deduction proves what is already implicit in the
premises.  So why do we say that Marx has not logically proved?   Can you
offer an example of a generalization in the natural or social sciences that
*is* the result of logical proof?

Thanks; I've enjoyed the exchange.

Howard