Re: [OPE-L] equality versus equivalence

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Sat Jul 14 2007 - 10:47:48 EDT

>>> Would it be accurate to say that equality is QUANTITATIVE and
equivalence may not be quantitative? <<<

Hi Fred:

No.  Equality has both qualitative and quantitative dimensions.
Equality in the context of this discussion should not be taken to mean
merely an equal sign (=) in an equation.

Of course I don't have the references in front of me, but it might be
interesting from a history of thought perspective to (re-)examine what
Hegel wrote on the distinction between equality and equivalence.

In solidarity, Jerry