Re: [OPE-L] Truncating Marx's "Capital"

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Sat Sep 01 2007 - 12:16:53 EDT

> To take just one example, Harry Cleaver's approach to Marx is rarely
> introduced into discussion on this list. (No, I'm not trying to start a
> new thread, but making a comment on this one.)

Hi Paul Z:

Without initiating a thread on autonomist Marxism, let me just note (tying
the two comments together) that _far_  more Marxians internationally are
engaged with that group of perspectives than have any interest whatsoever
in discussing or reading about the TP.

To add yet another related comment: we all know radical economists who
_used_ to be Marxians.  There are a whole lot of people, including former
students and faculty, who I knew at the New School who fit into this
category.  There are undoubtedly a bunch of reasons for their shift
(including changes in political perspective, their accessment of
historical developments, etc.) but I think that _far more_ of these people
have been turned off to Marxian political economy because of what they
view as its limited and stale research agenda than because they have been
convinced intellectually by critical positions advanced in the TP debate.
Indeed, I would go so far as to say that if the TP is raised for
discussion in their presence, most of them will either yawn or laugh - the
latter a reflection of their amusement that Marxians after all these years
are still discussing these topics. Outside of a small group of Marxian
economists and critics,  people (including economists and radicals, even
if they know the meaning of the TP - which itself is a small minority)
frankly just don't give a damn.

In solidarity, Jerry