Re: [OPE-L] Reclaiming Marx's "Capital": book launch talks, reviews, media coverage

From: paul bullock (paulbullock@EBMS-LTD.CO.UK)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2007 - 08:34:58 EDT

Philip,

Cost  of goods sold  (COGS),  is what it is.
If goods arn't sold they are retained as Finished stocks
so part of current assets for the accountant, and his client, the
capitalist. If these arn't sold then they will eventually written off, (they
may be sold in desperation, written down), but even the bourgeoise
recognises that no value can be raised from dumped products. So it always
amazes me when I hear that value is value without sale, ie without taking on
the form of money.

Secondly, the price form can be 'irrational'. Marx refers to interest as
such. An irrational price  represents a sum of money anyone can spend on
whatever they want, but that  has no 'counterparty' in the socially
necessary time of production of the product. Since 'picasso's ' are a luxury
items - paid out of the surplus value stolen from the workers by the
bourgeoisie for their own 'pleasure' - with no socially determined time of
production, (ie they play no part in the fundamental/ economic reproduction
of capitalism), the individual price paid can, IMO, be ragarded as
'irrational'.

regards

Paul Bullock