Re: [OPE-L] models with unequal turnover periods

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2007 - 13:32:16 EDT

Jerry,

I'm trying one step at a time; or actually more like two steps.  If I can
get this model to be reasonable maybe I'd be ready for incorporating
technological changes.  Previously these models don't deal with fixed
capital and that's what I'm trying to include first.

I'm thinking that it is not unreasonable that the level of circulating
constant capital is a fixed ratio of fixed capital, since the fixed
capital is designed with requirements for circulating constant capital
inputs, like raw materials.

I'm inclined to treat depreciation as within circulating constant capital,
but the alternative would seem to be as a fraction of fixed capital.

I'm pulling in empirical work by Moseley, Shaikh and Tonak, and Wolff
for the U.S., as well as Webber and Rigby for Canada, as empirical
backgrounds.  For example, from these works I conclude that the
materialized composition of constant is rather constant at 2.  Recall that
that is C/(v+s), not C/v.  The later may increase when the former does
not.

Any recommendations are most welcome from anyone.

Paul Z.

(Vol.23) The HIDDEN HISTORY of 9-11-2001   "a benchmark in 9/11 research"
(Vol.24) TRANSITIONS in LATIN AMERICA and in POLAND and SYRIA
          Research in Political Economy, P.Zarembka, ed, Elsevier hardback
********************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka