Re: [OPE-L] "A financial September 11: Lessons of the banking crisis"

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Thu Sep 27 2007 - 14:55:16 EDT

> May be it's me who does not understand the complexity
> of the theory, but I find all such pieces to be full
> of theoretical confusions and mixing of cause and
> effect.

Hi Ajit:

Here's another article (in this case by Alan Woods)that you (and Jurriaan,
for different reasons) almost certainly won't like:

<http://www.marxist.com/financial-sept-11-part-one.htm>
<http://www.marxist.com/financial-sept-11-part-two.htm>

It's very odd to call the current situation a "financial September 11",
isn't it?  No one is actually suggesting that there were forces who
conspired to bring about the sub-prime housing crisis, after all.  (NB:
regardless of who you believe was responsible for 9/11, _everyone_ agrees
there _was_ a conspiracy.  As Richard Curtis pointed out recently, it's
really a question of _which_ conspiracy theory you accept, the official
state theory or alternative explanations).

In any event, I'd be interested in hearing what you and others on the list
think are the causes of the current financial "crisis" (I put that in
quotes because you or others on the list may or may not believe there is a
crisis ...yet)?

In solidarity, Jerry