Re: [OPE-L] Incoherence of the TSSI - consensus

From: Anders Ekeland (anders.ekeland@ONLINE.NO)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2007 - 13:37:40 EDT

Hi Jerry,

I cannot go into the history from 1995 onwards. But if the short
story is that K&F demanded response, got some response and there was
nothing more challenging in it than that, why do people still engage
with K&F (TSSI)?

In your original message you asked if there was consensus on that
Kliman and Freeman leave something to be desired (being an
"understated conclusion"...)

a) In their use of logic

b) their reporting of the views of those with whom they disagree

c) and in the elaboration of their own fundamental categories

Whatever happened on, off-OPE-L and off-off-OPE-L I am still of the
opinion that K&F are no worse than their opponents on points a,b,c.

My impression is that K&F are very serious Marxist economist, very
engaged political activists on the left ("bright") side, whatever
their errors we should treat them with respect. If they are
sectarian, let us respond to that with arguments, be more tolerant
than they are.

So if K&F has nothing to contribute substantially - just leave them
alone, but you - Jerry - ask for a vote on a,b and c which in my
opinion can do no good and potentially create a climate where - as
Jurriaan pointed out, it will be harder to admit that K&F has a valid
point or two. It will be a less open and generous climate for
discussing their - or similar views - like mine.

Just to mention one thing: I think Kliman in his last book is quite
correct in pointing out that the "invariants" are fundamental in Marx
project, for understanding the relationship between labour time and
money, the numerous transformations going on when the (never
realized) uniform rates of profit are being formed - only to be
disrupted by the same mechanisms that contribute to their formation.
This means that any type of Bortkiewicz like correction is to
undermine the whole Marxian project. Which might of course be correct
to do - due to the "inconsistencies" (input prices <> output prices)
etc. But this must be stated clearly not shuffled under the carpet as
a minor issue, a "red herring" etc.

Or to put it another way - if Laibman is correct in that any "normal"
iteration will end up in the static solution - then "Bortkiewicz et
al." was right and Marx(ism) was wrong, which leads to either a
"technical" value theory (Sraffa, Steedman) or a marginalist one, but
this is for sure different value theories than what  labour unions
(and most people) spontaneously hold - and it was to give a
scientific, rigorous presentation of this "pre-scientific" theory of
the labour movements intuition of "just wages" that was Marx
political/ethical/moral starting point.

... I must stop here and force my self to work with less interesting things ...

Regards
Anders