Re: [OPE-L] Incoherence of the TSSI - consensus?

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Mon Oct 22 2007 - 10:16:26 EDT

(Anders, replying to Gary, wrote:)
> - But only the title you must have known would have been very
> offending: "Vulgar economy in a Marxian garb", nothing like a "TSSI:
> a well intended but unsuccessful attempt to solve fundamental issues
> in Marxian Economy".

Hi Anders:

Sorry, but I can't let that pass. You think that's "offending", do you?

How about the title of a 2004 paper presented to the EEA

"LIES, DAMNED LIES, AND SCREPANTI'S CRITIQUE OF MARX" ?

In defense and explanation that title, the author wrote:

"My title suggests that Screpanti's *critique* of Marx ... is
equivalent to a damned lie." (emphasis in original).

I don't recall a single person who has been sympathetic to the TSSI
ever  publicly being critical of that title selection.

Saying that a perspective represents "vulgar economy" (something that has
a specific meaning in Marx's writings and is not merely a pejorative) is
one thing. Saying that one has a critique which is "equivalent to a
damned lie" is quite another!  If  you don't see the difference, I suggest
you talk to scholars in other fields.

In solidarity, Jerry