Re: [OPE-L] "Truthiness" and the TSSI

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Wed Oct 24 2007 - 08:57:16 EDT

>>"THE WHIGGISH FOUNDATION OF MARXIAN AND SRAFFIAN ECONOMICS"
>>If you are wondering about the meaning of "whiggish", see:
>><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiggish_historiography>
> But have you actually read that paper Jerry? I do not think it
> confirms your prognosis that it is just getting worse and worse.
> Kliman has a certain polemical style, but if you do not let yourself
> be provoked by that, there is a lot of substantial arguments in that
> paper, given the premiss that Marx was not an equilibrium theorist,
> i.e. to judge him from a gen.eq. point of view is unfair, do not
> grasp his methodological paradigm.

Hi Anders:

_His_ methodological paradigm is not the issue which I was alluding to:
it is his representation of other Marxian and surplus approach
perspectives that is at issue (again, recall the conclusion from the C&C
reply by Mohun and Veneziani).  Do you think there is a "Whiggish
foundation" to basically all non-TSSI radical perspectives in political
economy? Do you think that it is a foundational question for Marxian and
Sraffian economics to (your words) "judge him (Marx) from a gen eq. point
of view"?  Since all but a handful of Marxians (in the Analytical and
Rational Choice Marxism traditions) explicitly reject general equilibrium
theory, this is a bit far-fetched, imo.

In solidarity, Jerry