[OPE-L] gen equ and sraffa

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2007 - 04:42:57 EDT

>Do you think that it is a foundational question for Marxian and
>Sraffian economics to (your words) "judge him (Marx) from a gen eq.
point
>of view"?

>Since all but a handful of Marxians (in the Analytical and
>Rational Choice Marxism traditions) explicitly reject general
equilibrium
>theory, this is a bit far-fetched, imo.

Why far fetched? The whole Bortkiewicz, Sweezy, Sraffa inspired
linear algebra is simultaneous, GE modelling, so if these people as a
credo reject GE - all their models and thinking and what they regard
as "results" are from GE models. Deeds count - not words.

------------------
Anders
Remember what Sraffa calls his book.

It is an imanent critique of political economy in its GE form. He is
showing that
Even if we accept their assumptions about equal profit rates , the
assumptions
Of neo-classical capital theory do not follow.

Some of his followers, Steedman for example, then do assume that equal
rates of profit actually occur, but this need be no more than a
provisional critical assumption in the context of Sraffa's purpose.