Re: [OPE-L] Incoherence of the TSSI - consensus?

From: Ian Wright (wrighti@ACM.ORG)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2007 - 20:44:37 EDT

> I am fully aware that science & ideology interconnect in significant ways. But that doesn't
> mean we ought to warmly embrace the interconnection and plunge full-steam-ahead with
> the integration of value judgments into our statements about how the world is objectively
> constrcted. The other alternative--trying as best we can to separate the two realms of
> discourse--is a better way to move forward if we want to have useful conversations with
> people who have different ideological perspectives.

You may have misunderstood my intent since from my point of view the
traditional Marxist concept of exploitation is not a value judgment
but a technical concept that describes how profit is unpaid
labour-time. This is not a moral theory, but a theory of what actually
happens in the capitalist economy given what monetary quantities
represent.

And there is a fact of the matter regarding which theories of economic
value are correct descriptions of economic reality. Such facts must
frame any debates on distributional justice, since to know whether a
system is just or unjust first requires us to understand how that
system works.

I'm not sure what the surplus-school, lacking a theory of economic
value, can contribute to these questions, other than the observation
that workers don't get all the surplus. But I'm happy to be shown
otherwise.