Re: [OPE-L] gen equ and sraffa

From: David Laibman (dlaibman@SCIENCEANDSOCIETY.COM)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 14:09:04 EDT

Hi, all.
I can't get too deeply into the Sraffa discussion, but I might just
interject one small anecdote.  John Eatwell recalls discussing with
Sraffa the question, Why is there not more history, dynamics, value,
theory of exploitation, crisis, accumulation tendencies, and so forth,
in *Production of Commodities*?  Sraffa's reply: "Marx already wrote
that book.  Why should I repeat what has already been done?"  So, for
what it is worth, we have this reported instance of Sraffa himself a)
affirming that he is working in the tradition begun by Marx, but that b)
he is concerned, in this particular book, with a narrow topic within
that tradition: laying the foundation for a logical critique of
neoclassical theory.
      All best,
        David