Re: [OPE-L] gen equ and sraffa

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Thu Oct 25 2007 - 16:02:39 EDT

> I personally find PoCbmoC very autistic, not that impressing.

Hi Anders:

I'm assuming that this is a translation issue: right?
Rather than autistic (see e.g. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autistic>),
what word did you intend to write?

> How is
> it possible to write such a book - and not relate more explicitly to
> the history of economic ideas, where this book places itself in the
> theoretical landscape etc. etc.

I think that's one of its chief advantages.  It's concise nature keeps the
readers' focus on the most important qestions of theory from the author's
perspective and thus prevents readers from being side-tracked into obscure
history of thought issues.  In any event, this is a question associated
with the *form of exposition*. One can make no inferences
about a writer's ability to critique other perspectives and grasp of the
history of thought based merely on the absence of that material in a
particular writing.  As we all know, one of Sraffa's strong points was as
a historian of economic thought so his not going into the history of
thought in _PCBMOC_ shows basically nothing about the author or the book.

In solidarity, Jerry