[OPE-L] value theory

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2007 - 21:10:24 EDT

I was kicked off the list more a week ago by Levy
before the AC was consulted--just to explain why
the following notes are late coming. I know that
one AC person did not find grounds for my
suspension or expulsion, and I am betting at
least one other did not as well. They are free of
course to take issue with Levy's moderation of
the list. I  however cannot denigrate Levy's
performance without being kicked off the list or
respond to his posts in any way, so let me ask as
a matter of general principles why suspensions
and expulsions are not preceded by a vote by the
AC which would allow the accused party to make a
statement before the votes are cast. I had
assumed that this is how the list is moderated
but if this is not true, perhaps some
clarification of list policy--which of course I
would dare not challenge!--would be in order.

OK on to substance (while we are waiting for
Simon's response to the Freeman and Kliman reply).

1. Gary says that "Marx's starting point after
all was a static model of simple reproduction."
But as Allin and I showed (and Grossman before
us) Marx demonstrated that simple reproduction
would be most unlikely under capitalist
conditions. So why Marx's value theory has to
hold in simple reproduction is not at all clear
to me. I am confused why the test of simple
reproduction is so important to both Gary and Ian
Wright.

That the interdepartmental relations disclosed
through analysis of simple reproduction would
have to hold more or less in expanded
reproduction in a closed capitalist economy does
not mean that the capitalist economy can ever
settle into simple reproduction (or arrive at
static equilibrium).  In fact Marx argues that it
cannot.

2. Also I think we need to clarify what long term equilibrium is
--is it a process through which differential
rewards for those holding the same factors of
production tend to be eliminated? E.g rate of
profit tends to be equalized across branches
--is it an ongoing process in which the most
efficient techniques come to determine normal
prices
--is it an end state in which there is a set of
efficiency prices in static equilibrium?

I see no evidence that Smith, Ricardo or Marx
understood normal price or price of production or
supply price as the third kind of thing.
Competition for them was a dynamic process, not
an end state. Which is a neo classical conception
rather than classical conception. I think I agree
with Anders on this.

3. I am wondering whether we can agree that Marx,
rightly or wrongly, would have understood the
Sraffian theory as crude material fetishism he
ascribed to McCulloch. It seems useful to me to
try to figure out what Marx would have thought
about the physical conditions/surplus approach

John Eatwell writes

" ..The objective analysis which Sraffa sought he
found in the surplus theories of Ricardo and
Marx. The classical theory of value and
distribution takes as its starting point
quantities which are all, in principle,
objectively measurable, and behind those
quantities lie the objective characteristics of
social institutions. There is no place for
utility or disutility. For example, labor
requires a given quantity of commodities as
wages, and this must be replaced from the
product. The wage is a set of physical
magnitudes, its determination rooted in the
character of contemporary society. It is not a
measure of how the worker subjectively feels
about working. Orthodox theory asks us to believe
that real cost is the sum not only of the
disutility of labor, but also of the subjective
pain suffered by the capitalists, who must be
induced to sacrifice their wealth to engage in
the acquisition of profit." -- John Eatwell
(1984). "Piero Sraffa: Seminal Economic
Theorist", Science and Society, V. 48, N. 2
(Summer): 211-216."

  Eatwell is free to laud this putative
materialism, but it is important to see why Marx
would not have.

In Theories of Surplus Value Marx writes:

"According to Hodgskin, circulating capital is
nothing but the juxtaposition of the different
kinds of social labour (coexisting labour) and
accumulation is nothing but the amassing of the
productive powers of social labour, so that the
accumulation of the skill and knowledge
(scientific power) of the workers themselves is
the chief form of accumulation, and infinitely
more important than the accumulation-which goes
hand in hand with it and merely represents it-of
the existing objective conditions of this
accumulated activity. These objective conditions
are only nominally accumulated and must be
constantly produced anew and consumed anew.
"Š productive capital and skilled labour are [Š]
one." "Capital and a labouring population are
precisely synonymous" ( [Hodgskin, Labour
Defended against the Claims of Capital, London,
1825,] p. 33).
These are simply further elaborations of Galiani's thesis:
"Š The real wealth Š is man" (Della Moneta,
Custodi. Parte Moderna, t. III, p. 229).
The whole objective world, the "world of
commodities", vanishes here as a mere aspect, as
the merely passing activity, constantly performed
anew, of socially producing men. Compare this
"idealism" with the crude, material fetishism
into which the Ricardian theory develops in the
writings "of this incredible cobbler", McCulloch,
where not only the difference between man and
animal disappears but even the difference between
a living organism and an inanimate object. And
then let them say that as against the lofty
idealism of bourgeois political economy, the
proletarian opposition has been preaching a crude
materialism directed exclusively towards the
satisfaction of coarse appetites."

Two points here, the first one long the second short.

A.  The Sraffian theory tries to remain fixated
on the objective world, the world of commodities,
the production of commodities by commodities. The
Sraffians take get pride in this empiricism or
thingism of wage goods and surplus goods (though
of course the world is never frozen as it is in
their equations). But in this economics we have
fixed inputs transformed into fixed outputs on
the basis of fixed technology. We have the whole
objective world, the world of commodities, of
things.

This reified world never vanishes for the
Sraffians as a mere aspect of, as the merely
passing activity, constantly performed anew, of
socially producing men.

Marx would have described the Sraffian framework
as a crude material fetishism closer to McCulloch
than Ricardo! At the same time even though Sraffa
tries to remain fixated on the world of
commodities, he is forced to abandon the actual
and changing world of commodities and retreat
into a world where nothing changes, time is
frozen--inputs and outputs are the same and
technical conditions fixed.

So the theory aims to be materialist but fails to
be so. It is in fact a Platonic escape from the
real, material world. It can't allow for example
product and process innovation, which Schumpeter
showed to be the heartbeat of capitalism.

As Freeman and Giusanni have long emphasized,
Sraffa's  equations cannot be solved unless the
"output" goods are assumed to be the same as the
input "goods"; moreover Sraffa must assume that
the output commodities have been produced with
the same exact techniques as the input goods
(otherwise input prices cannot equal output
prices). That is, to get the mathematics to work
he has to stick fast to things and eliminate
time. The economy is conceived as having the same
basket of goods on the input side as the output
side, and it is assumed that they were produced
in the same way!

This is not objective or materialist as Eatwell
and Steedman loudly proclaim but a phantom world
in which  economists have become more comfortable
than the real world. The net product is in fact
not well described as a quantity of use values;
that only reifies the actually objective and
truly real unpaid labor time which can take and
usually does take ever changing concrete forms.

In other words, Sraffa represents a step back
from the classical economists whom Marx lauded in
this rather amazing quote from his chapter on
Richard Jones:

"The phantom of the world of goods fades away and
it is seen to be simply a continually
disappearing and continually reproduced
objectivisation of human labour.  All solid
material wealth is only transitory
materialisation of social labour, crystallisation
of the production process whose measure is time,
the measure of a movement itself."

The materialism and objectivity that Eatwell
claims to have found in Sraffa was lost after
Marx's encounter with the classicals. Sraffa did
not recover it but tried to give it the final
burial. Meek, Dobb and Steedman followed him.

B.  as to the origins of surplus value the
difference between the animate and the inanimate
disappears in the Sraffian framework as the new
money value added is attributed to animate or
living labor and dead labor alike.

At any rate it's no surprise the Sraffians try to
kill off the labor theory of value as part of
Marx's discredited humanism.

This is the only way they can stay at the
empiricistic level of the objective world of
commodities, not see commodities as a mere aspect
of, as the merely passing objectificaton of
activity, constantly performed anew, of socially
producing men.

4. I am hoping that we can agree that Marx,
rightly or wrongly, would not have seen the need
for the standard commodity as an invariable
standard of value, for he understood the
purchasing power of the real world numeraire,
namely gold, to be fixed by its actual value,
which he also understood or rather stipulated as
fixed. As distributional changes could not affect
the purchasing power of the numeraire commodity,
distributional changes would thus have no effect
on the size of the pie as measured in the
numeraire. There is thus no need in Marx's theory
for the standard commodity.

5. Marx never admitted to having failed to
transform the inputs from values to prices of
production. He admitted to an inverse
transformation problem

6. I would also challenge how AllinC/PaulC on the
one hand and Ian W on the other hand have handled
the transformation problem, which is an
expression of a real contradiction between the
law of value and the law of profit. The former
denies that the contradiction exists; the latter
tries to eliminate it by a clever redefinition of
labor value. Either way, real contradiction is
wished away.

Rakesh