Re: [OPE-L] Marx on the general rate of profit/rate of interest: a translation error

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2007 - 14:11:22 EDT

--- Paul Cockshott <wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK> wrote:

> What is left unstated in your summary Gary is
> whether Marx expects the dispersion of profit rates
> to narrow with
> time?
> If that does not occur what does a tendancy to
> equalise mean?
>
> Instead of a tendancy to equalise, one might
> hypothesise some constraints on the dispersion.
>
> Paul Cockshott
_________________________
What time? What could be empirically the starting
point in time to see if dispersion rate norrows or
not? The idea of the center of gravitation cannot deal
with what Joan Robinson called 'historical time'.
Historical time is the time of growth and
accumulation. Now, growth and accumulation theories
also put various constraints  on certain
parameters--but those constraints on parameters can be
dealt with by empirical investigations of how
'reasonable' they are. But for the gravitation
mechanism to work itself through, you need to assume
that both techniques of production and the rate of
profits and the real wages (and consumption and
savings paterns etc.) remain constant while the
mechanism works itself out. Now, as long as growth (or
movement along historical time) is expected to break
any of these constants, the gravitational mechanism
will have to continuously restart itself a
fresh--therefore, you will not have a starting point
or a finish point to empirically test if it works.
That's why you will have to assume steady state growth
path on the historical time to let the gravitational
mechanism work. The classical economists, such as
Smith and Ricardo, did not asssume a steady state
growth path (Marx came close to modeling one though).
Thus in their framework, the idea of center of
gravitation works on 'logical' or notional time and
not on 'historical time'. But as we have shown in our
paper, the logic of it is not all that sound. Cheers,
ajit sinha

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1894-c3/ch22.htm