Re: [OPE-L] class theory

From: Ian Wright (wrighti@ACM.ORG)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2007 - 17:10:16 EDT

> Well, that's also the problem with identifying what you think is the class
> basis of a perspective. Once you say, "your theory is petit-bourgeois" that closes off
> discussion since no one in their right mind would argue with a person over
> such a claim.

Why do you think "no one in their right mind would argue with a person
over such a claim"?

Why should this kind of assertion "close(s) off discussion"?

There's a long and rich tradition of analyzing the class content of
social theory within Marxism, not least Marx's Theories of Surplus
Value and his 18th Brumaire, and more modern texts, such as, off the
top of my head, Dobb's Theories of Value and Distribution and
Callinicos' Against Postmodernism. This list is rather large.

All of these authors would of course welcome being rationally
challenged on any of their claims to link social theories to class
interests.

But it would be incredibly naive to think that social theories are
independent of class interests, and also somewhat censorious to
suggest that such links should not be mentioned or discussed, which
seems to be your wish.