Re: [OPE-L] class theory

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Mon Oct 29 2007 - 16:40:47 EDT

> My claim was not "merely asserted", I gave a reason:
Sraffa's theory
> is "even handed" in the sense that it
attempts to deny the logical
> possibility of any theory of
economic value, be it marginalism or the
> labour theory of
value.

Hi Ian:

You wrote that you can not
"fully develop this line of thought within the context"
of
OPE-L and didn't identify a source where you had developed
it someplace else,
so I took that to be an assertion.

> I of course strongly object to you associating my
use of the method of
> historical materialism with the murderous
history of Stalinism vs.
> Trotskyism vs. Anarchism, and the
implication that the method of
> historical materialism
necessarily leads to such outcomes. It reminds
> me that you also
once objected to my labeling of post-modernism as

"anti-Marxist" along similar lines. All I can say is that you
are
> projecting all kinds of unpleasant nonsense onto me, and I
want
> nothing to do with it.

Well, that's
also the problem with identifying what you think is the class basis of
perspective. Once you say, "your theory is
petit-bourgeois" that closes off
discussion since no one in
their right mind would argue with a person over
such a claim. Thus,
when you say "all kinds of unpleasant nonsense" , I'm
not
going to argue with that. I'll just move on and talk to someone who want
to talk.

In solidarity, Jerry