Re: [OPE-L] Marx and philosophy

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2007 - 12:34:59 EST

http://www.autodidactproject.org/other/poznan1.html

I probably got this cite from this list! Paul Burkett has written an
important piece on Newton and Marx on laws of motion.

Marx's Method in Social Science, and its Relationship to Classical
and Modern Physics and Mathematics
Johannes Witt?Hansen / Copenhagen

As made plausible above, Capital and its immediate forerunners give
ample evidence in favour of the assumption that Marx was familiar
with the analytical devices and methodological procedures developed
by the founders of classical mechanics, and that he was able to
employ them with great skill. He hardly shared Hegel's twisted view
of Newtonian mechanics, and could not possibly sanction his rejection
of the method of abstraction and idealization or his denial of the
legitimacy of the thought experimental procedure. Marx's
methodological approach to social phenomena had, indeed, very little
in common with Hegel's so?called "dialectical method". It was rather
related to the method adopted in "The Scottish Historical School",
[20/21] refined by Marx's own creative appropriation of the
scientific spirit inherent in classical mathematics and natural
science.
________

I'll have to run this one down myself

J. Witt?Hansen, "Reflections on Marxian Dialectics", Poznan Studies
in the Philosophy of the Sciences and the Humanities, Vol. 2 no. 4,
1976.

Or if he's still alive I could email him and ask him whether he could
send it to me as a pdf

rb