Re: [OPE-L] reply to Dogan

From: GERALD LEVY (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2007 - 12:56:41 EST

> Is the matter just me?

Dogan:

I couldn't say.  I can say the following, though: in the 12+ years of
OPE-L only one person has ever been suspended.  Not a single person in list
history has been expelled. All left voluntarily (for a variety of reasons,
some of which I am not at liberty to discuss on-list: e.g. health problems)
How many radical lists can match that record?

How many lists on _any_ subject can match the low turnover rate of this
list?  I think that should tell you that we're doing something right.

Furthermore, everyone has been free to comment on anything that they
wanted to so long as it wasn't a flame or a violation of a specific list
policy (such as discussing recommendations for new members -- a matter which
has to be treated confidentially in fairness to candidates) which was
explained beforehand to the list. Moreover, everyone can post as many times
as they want to on those topics.  Can you think of another radical list
which offers so many freedoms to listmembers?

> At least among us there should be some kind of ethical rules, some sense of
> justice.There are: they have all been explained to the list previously.

This is not to say that I have done The Perfect Job as list coordinator.  But I believe
I have treated *everyone* on the list fairly. If I have had an administrative failing
it is that I have been *too* laiseez-faire.  But, this is what I think the list (for the
most part) wanted and it is a statement on my part about how a collaborative
group should be administrered.

You might not be aware how thankless and time-consuming this job is.  It can
often be *extremely* aggravating and frustrating - although listmembers are
overwhelming cooperative and comradely.

There _is_ justice on this list!

In solidarity, Jerry