Re: [OPE-L] GPM, "Critica al neomarxista Samir Amin"

From: GERALD LEVY (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2007 - 08:25:52 EST

Hi Jurriaan:

I don't think that "Neo-Marxism" has any precise meaning: rather
it is basically a term of abuse.  There are certainly examples
aplenty for its mis-use in Marxist polemics: e.g. (to cite something
you're familiar with) Ernest Mandel was accused [and indeed, it was
an accusation rather than merely a neutral descriptor] of
being a "Neo-Marxist".  Isn't Samir simply getting a [foul] taste of
what Mandel received in the 1970's?

If it is so bad and heretical, supposedly, to put forward a "neo-"
perspective (recall the abuse that Mandel got for the expression
"neo-capitalism"?  - later ammened to "late capitalism"), is
there anything at all in favor of  revolutionaries saying that they
are "orthodox", "classical" or "fundamentalist" anything?

In solidarity, Jerry