Re: [OPE-L] empirical measurement of changes in the value of labour-power

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@KTH.SE)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2007 - 14:49:05 EST

Hi Jerry:

> Is the following the only reason you think so?
>
> > Would it not be better to explicitly distinguish:
> > (a) the labour-value of the real wage
> > (b) the total labour (social *and* domestic) necessary to reproduce
> > the capacity to work

Yes. I think the VLP was an ingenious theoretical invention by Marx but
it is also imprecise for the reason given above.

Take one wage-labourer, working for 1 month. We have to distinguish:

    1. a (nominal) wage, i.e. the sum of money payed.
    2. a bundle of goods and services purchased, which I call a real
    wage vector.
    3. the labour-value of that vector.

Thus I don't see a "fall of the wage below the value of labour-power",
rather I see a fall of the wage leading to a fall in the labour-value of
the real wage bundle. But the total labour necessary to reproduce the
capacity to work may be unchanged, and it is a matter of definition
whether one should call this or the labour-value of the real wage as
"VLP". But I think you run into problems if you don't distinguish them.

//Dave Z