[OPE-L] Vive la difference

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@TISCALI.NL)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2007 - 14:54:41 EST

Jerry,

Just for the record, in making the remark I did, I was expressing a wry, grudging wonder at aggregate Dutch financial skill (and the skills of the Chinese and Jews in this area of endeavour) - if you look at the actual labour force participation rates, it is a wonder how such a relatively Dutch small workforce can generate and redistribute so much money, the trading ability as such is impressive. That is all.

As regards my views on ethnic questions generally, I have sent you my opinions in more detail off-list. I am of course prepared to debate ethnic questions on-list, but I am more inclined to explore them, rather than debate them.

Most ethnic prejudices in my experience are explicable purely in terms of not-knowing, in which case you are better off learning on the basis of social equality, than debating. I am not very interested in moralistic, unctious, quasi-religious or "politically correct" discourses about the subject. I agree that my turn of phrase "could be interpreted" as aggravating to some, and will therefore refrain on-list with these remarks.

Jurriaan