Re: [OPE-L] temporal lag

From: GERALD LEVY (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2007 - 11:18:35 EST

> Wow!! I finally understand what this temporalism stuff is all about!> :-)

Hi David L:

Yes, indeed.  Computers can experience "down time" (i.e.
malfunction, be off-line, and require repair) and this
down time if put in the context of capitalist enterprises
can impact the firm's rate of profit.  Firms (and workers) clearly
know that there is not simultaneous determination in
practice!

In addition to constant fixed capital being "down"
within a "period of production" , there is also the possibility
of a temporal lag in production occasioned by workers'
collective action (a strike, a slow-down, etc.).  Because
workers know that firms understand that "time is money"
they grasp how their self-activity can shape firm profitability
(this was one of the motivations of the trend in the auto
industry towards the "world car" beginning in the 1980's:
indeed, it could be seen as one of the benefits of globalized
production for capital).

Moreover, "down time" can be be due to the difficulty of
obtaining constant circulating capital in a "timely way"
(i.e. as needed from the standpoint of production): this was
one of the motivating forces for the  transition to flexible
(just-in-time) production systems in manufacturing.

This "temporalism stuff" could also be seen as a motivation for
many of the transformations in transportation and
communications systems which have been developed over
the course of the last few decades.

As one moves away from "high theory" to a consideration of
more concrete questions, then the temporal (and spatial)
stuff becomes more and more significant.

I hope you don't mind my taking your Laibmanian humorous
comment and turning it into a possible topic of discussion.

In solidarity, Jerry