Re: [OPE-L] Imperialism in our century.

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@KTH.SE)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2007 - 09:33:59 EST

I agree, Cerni's article is very good. Far better than Ellen Wood's
account of US imperialism in "Empire of Capital". I fully agree that a
historical materialist analysis of imperialism must begin with the
global material relations of production as the context for understanding
the political and ideological aspects.

However, there are two issues that I think lack analysis:

What is the relation between the capitalism and the nation state,
especially once capitalism has reached a truly global scale? From a
purely abstract capitalist logic one would expect a decay of smaller
nation states and the formation of larger blocs of juridical and
military power, e.g. as the EU. But the reverse seems to be true. Given
the integration of global capitalism today I have a hard time to see
that the rivalries between capitals  themselves will translate into
rivalries between nation states (except for the case of state-capitalist
enterprises).

Cerni emphasises the shift of productive labour from the West/US to the
East/China as the cause of the decline of the former. But she does not
address the political potential of a rising industrial working class in
the latter.

//Dave Z