Re: [OPE-L] glossary for V1 of _Capital

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@KTH.SE)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2008 - 09:23:30 EST

I'm fully aware of the very "formalist" definition of 'capital' that I
gave. I'm hoping that  Marxist economics can be put in a more precise
language. Established concepts, be they 'heat', 'information',
'phlogiston' or 'captial', have either to be made more precise along with
a theory or simply abandoned.

Capital, as "a sum of money used to obtain more money", is a formalist
concept and intentionally so: It is the "form of appearance" of an
underlying relation between economic agents. Rather than Dogan's
assertion, I would say that capital in general *expresses* a set of
possible exploitative social relations.

So I'm essentially in agreement with you both.

But if one says that capital *is* a relation, then "capital accumulation"
--- by definition a quantitative process --- loses its meaning and Marxist
economic theory will be obscured.

//Dave Z