Re: [OPE-L] domestic labor

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@KTH.SE)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 04:31:13 EST

Hi Bapuji,

I hope to find time to read your reply in full.

The point I'm trying to make is that the concern for "what is productive
from the standpoint of capital" is very narrow and will boil down to a
question of "is it profitable for capitalist firms?".

Instead one has to look at it from a more general standpoint of material
reproduction of society; which economic activities are a drain on the
surplus labour performed in others?

The focus here is not profitability but the long-run development of
society:  accumulation of real capital, productivity and the living
standard of the working classes.

This is a pertinent issue in e.g. India, where a significant portion of
the service sector is unproductive in this general sense. See
http://rupe-india.org/36/parasitism.html

//Dave Z