Re: [OPE-L] domestic labor

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@KTH.SE)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 06:34:59 EST

> * Are the wage-workers (the cooks) employed by these capitalist firms
> productive of surplus value?

Suppose one week of labour creates $100 and that the take-home pay is $60.
A capitalist hires a servant for a week to do work at his home. Thus he
has to pay $60 from the surplus earned from his business.

Now suppose that instead of hiring a servant, our capitalist pays a firm
to do the same service at his home. Consequently, he pays $100. The firm,
who sent one of its workers to perform the service, has made a profit of
$100 - $60 = $40.

The difference between the two cases is evident. In the latter case, a
firm has earned a surplus of $40 only by an additional transfer of $40
from the surplus created in the business owned by our capitalist.

//Dave Z