[OPE-L] Productive & unproductive labour

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@TISCALI.NL)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2008 - 05:57:28 EST

Paul C.,

Your reading is correct, but Marx's arguments about productive labour and "productive in function" cannot be maintained in large part because of

- the infinite divisibility of human labour
- technological change
- changes in property rights
- changes in the social relations of production
- changes in market access

These factors entail that no static concept of productive and unproductive labour is possible, that no class-neutral concept is possible, and that no objective transhistorical concept is possible other than that productive labour is labour which can produce more than is necessary for its own subsistence.

I will write that up some time, I just lost the text I typed due to te PC seizing up.

Jurriaan