Re: [OPE-L] Productive & unproductive labour

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@KTH.SE)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2008 - 06:52:51 EST

on 2008-01-19 11:57 Jurriaan Bendien wrote:
> These factors entail that no static concept of productive and
> unproductive labour is possible, that no class-neutral concept is
> possible, and that no objective transhistorical concept is possible
> other than that productive labour is labour which can produce more
> than is necessary for its own subsistence.

I think we are in agreement on this. The last part of your reply can be
made more precise by saying that productive labour is labour that
directly or indirectly goes into the reproduction of the working class.
I think Michael Kidron and the Indian economists at the "Research Unit
for Political Economy" also have made similar points.

//Dave Z