Re: [OPE-L] Freds argument and Gillman

From: Jerry Levy (jerry_levy@VERIZON.NET)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2008 - 11:00:13 EST

 If you like, just read through discussons in the OPE-L archives. You will see that many contributors assume that total profits must equal total surplus values (and that total prices must equal total values) and that Marx's argument must fail, if this is not the case.

Hi Jurriaan:

Well, yes, but the context of those discussions was generally
the "transformation problem".  Unproductive labour  (along with many other topics) are abstracted from by Marx in his exposition
of the transformation of values into prices of production. This relates - [of course, you know what I'm going to say next!] - to different levels of abstraction (sorry, I couldn't resist).

Maybe we should discuss to what extent the "two equalities" should be interpreted as abstractions versus ontological claims?

In solidarity, Jerry