Re: [OPE-L] "Levels of abstraction"

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@KTH.SE)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 16:32:51 EST

Hi Jurriaan,

Unfortunately, your post is too long for me to read and reply in full
right now. However, a few words on unproductive labour.

This issue is obscure when one looks at it from the standpoint of
capital. But if one adopts the approach of historical
materialism---"which agents produce and appropriate goods and
labour?"---things become more transparent:

Consider a hypothetical agricultural economy. The peasants produce for
themselves and a king. The king's appropriation is by definition a
surplus product. The king employs a great number of soldiers. Certainly
nobody would say that their labour is productive even if we consider it
to produce a service of sorts; their upkeep is supported by the surplus
labour of the direct producers.

Now suppose the king employs a great number of craftsmen to produce the
Crown jewels. Again there is no difference, their labour is just as
unproductive as the soldiers'; they must be supported by the surplus
labour of the peasants. Neither output enters the reproduction of the
working population.

//Dave Z