Re: [OPE-L] "Levels of abstraction"

From: Jerry Levy (jerry_levy@VERIZON.NET)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2008 - 10:27:57 EST

> You have not demonstrated that what I've been saying about
> productive/unproductive labour is wrong, whereas I have tried to > show that the previous attempts to classify it under capitalism
> is wrong from the standpoint of historical materialism.

Hi Dave Z:

You must not recall my explanations of how surplus value created
in what you called Dept. III can be used for the purchase of
additional V and C in Deptartments I and II. The key here, I think,
is the nature of commodity production under capitalism which, in part, necessarily requires the money-form.  Without the generalization of the commodity-form, and hence money, the surplus product which arises in one sector is not "liquid" and can not be readily used to finance production in other sectors. The money (and value and capital-wage labour) relation does not simply or merely disguise social relations, it in some ways transforms them.

In solidarity, Jerry