Re: [OPE-L] "Levels of abstraction"

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@KTH.SE)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2008 - 09:57:43 EST

on 2008-02-01 14:09 Jerry Levy wrote:
> *Too much* generality (over-generality) is also a criteria by which one views a theory. I.e. a social theory should accurately specify the parameters of its own domain and not over-reach by also attempting to explain domains which existed prior to the coming into being of the subject of the theory.

"Too much generality" would occur when a theory makes a wide range of
predictions but over-reaches and turns out to be empirically inaccurate.
But in any case, historical materialism specifies the parameters of its
domain: all human societies.

You have not demonstrated that what I've been saying about
productive/unproductive labour is wrong, whereas I have tried to show
that the previous attempts to classify it under capitalism is wrong from
the standpoint of historical materialism.

//Dave Z