[OPE-L] SV: [OPE-L] RGASPI Russian archive

From: Martin Kragh (Martin.Kragh@HHS.SE)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2008 - 15:39:25 EST

Re: [OPE-L] RGASPI Russian archive

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your comment. In my archive research I look at recently declassified statistics and reports on the development of the Soviet labour market, especially in relation to the abrogation of the labour law of June 1940, in year 1956. The more moderate labour laws which were introduced after Stalin died allowed for a larger mobility and flexibility, as earlier, workers could not easily leave their workplace "on their own accord". Also, tardiness  by more than 20 minutes, which had earlier been suppressed, was no longer a crime. These shifts, which I am able to show hopefully, created new contradictions in the economy; as urbanization continued to grow, with turnover and tardiness exploding in certain sectors on the one hand, and lay-offs becoming more widespread, on the other hand. With the new data, we can see branch and region wise, who left for what reasons, and where to over a longer period of time (1950-1970). It is also possible to look at the quantities of tardiness and spoilage at sector and ministry level. Other variables show age and gender strucutre. However, considering the outstanding growth numbers in the very same years, the picture is further complicated, and I believe it tells us a lot about how labour markets are developed in general, when a multitude of social processes are intertwined. My hope is to cover the whole period 1930-1980, but that might not be possible, at least not in very great detail.

This research will, according to plan goal estimates, hopefully debouch into a PhD-thesis which will then be defended in late 2009. But apart from my economic historical research, I also look into the life and work of the Russian economist and historian I.I. Rubin. When time allows, I would like to use declassified files to write an article on him, his work at the MEL-institute (in the 1920s) together with D. Razyanov, and how he was targeted by Stalin in the Menshevik processes (1930), which would in the end lead to his early death in the Great Terror. I restrain myself to say to much before any conclusive evidence can be presented.

Kind regards
Martin