Re: [OPE-L] (video) North American Union, Amero, V chip

From: Gerald Levy (glevy@LAGCC.CUNY.EDU)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 11:38:38 EST

>>  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuBo4E77ZXo><~!B*+R^&>>>  Which parts of this scenario are more likely to
>>  happen than others?
> I'm quite skeptical about this clip too. However, the point about a
> North American Union was new to me. If I may speculate further: I think
> it is consistent with the tendency of capital to eliminate all
> geographical, social and political barriers to the free movement of
> commodities, capital and labour. If it were left to capitalist logic
> alone, there would be a single global state apparatus whose only purpose
> would be to keep regions open to profit-making and to protect private
> property.
> Of course, capitalist societies do not evolve according to the
> tendencies of capital alone.

Hi Dave Z:

On the last sentence, we agree.

I  think that the possibility of "one government" in NA is highly unlikely.
More than that, I think it fundamentally mis-reads the character of the
current initiatives undertaken by the US state.  While recent administrations
have certainly pushed the agenda of "free trade" and international
capital mobility in NA (NAFTA and the current efforts to pass "Plan
Mexico") they have no such commitment to the "free movement of
labor [power]".   Under the guise of "homeland security" and fighting
the "war on terrorism" there have been a number of initiatives
against immigrant labor, e.g. the construction of "The Wall" on the
US-Mexico border.  The fact that all of these initiatives have not
passed despite widespread support within the two bourgeois parties
is in large part a result of the success of the massive protests in
the streets in 2006 by immigrants against proposed changes in
immigration policy. But - to put it mildly - the US government is
not a consistent champion of the "free mobility of labor".

I disagree also on what parts of the video raise more likely
possibilities.  Putting aside a lot of the hyperbole in the video,
I think the  diffusion of the V-chip is a very real possibility.

This technology already exists so, in addition to cost, it's fundamentally
a question of whether the US state has the political will and  ability to
impose this on the US population.

They might.

Rather than insist (at first) that everyone have the V-chip
implanted,  they might insist for reasons of "national security"
that certain groups need to be implanted with the chip, including

* state employees, especially military and law enforcement personnel;

* employees at defense contractors,  guard labor, etc.

* transportation workers, especially at locations which are
deemed to be potential "terrorist targets".

Etc.

Then, there are basically politically powerless groups who it would
be relatively easy for the state to impose its will on, such as:

* prisoners;

* convicted felons;

* individuals convicted of sex crimes.

Then, there are immigrant workers (who allegedly need to
be kept track of for reasons of "national security").

And children (the rationalization would be that the chip could
be used to "protect" them from abduction and predators ).
The government could then insist that newborns or children
before they are enrolled in public schools have the
V-chip " for their own protection".

Whether resistance to such initiatives would be powerful
enough to de-rail such initiatives is a possibility but remains
to be seen.  If the protests of 2006 are any indication,
any attempt to impose this on immigrant workers would
likely result in  huge social upheavals.

The point is that once such an invasion of the human body by
the state is imposed on one group then it makes it easier to
impose on others and thereby diffuse the technology. Note
also that the chip can have a commercial purpose, i.e. in
addition to personal ID and information like medical records,
it can be store financial information.  And, combined with
GPS, it could be the most far reaching technology of control
by the state yet developed.

Science fiction?  Maybe, maybe not.

In solidarity, Jerry