[OPE-L] SV: [OPE-L] SV: [OPE-L] RGASPI Russian archive

From: Martin Kragh (Martin.Kragh@HHS.SE)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 17:35:57 EST

Re: [OPE-L] SV: [OPE-L] RGASPI Russian archive

"
I must say that I'm surprised that such research is conducted at the
Stockholm School of Economics, arguably one of our most bourgeois
institutions."

Hi Dave,

Perhaps a silly question, but what is a "bourgeois institution"? Earlier on this list, Paul C refered to bourgeois universities also, but I don't know exactly which ones qualify as such. Stockholm School of Economics (SSE) is, in my opinion, the leading school for economic studies and perhaps research, in Sweden. It has many flaws, but so has, say, Stockholm University, or any other college, as well. Just as other universities in Sweden no fee charged for studying there.

Moshe Lewin is arguably one of the most prominent scholars, and his latest book, The Soviet Century in English translation, is a great book which summarizes not only his deep understanding of the Russian history, but obviously his great theoretical insights to the social organism of human societies as well. I agree that it is sketchy, but that makes it more accessible in another way (one can read selected chapters also) He actualy visited Stockholm School of Economics about two years ago, and I had the opportunity to have some drinks with him for a day ("Russian studies"). There was a book published from this conference which might interest you, it is only in Swedish;

Lennart Samuelson (red), Bönder och Bolsjeviker - Den ryska landsbygden historia 1902-1939, Stockholm: EFI 2007

[Peasants and Bolsheviks - The history of the Russian countryside 1902-1939]

Other featured authors are the late Viktor Danilov and Oleg Ken (who passed away only recently), and sociologist-historian Teodor Shanin, Elena Tiurina (author of a scholarly book on N. Kondratieff, director of the Russian State Archive of the Economy) and others. I don't have it in front of me, and I can't recall all the participants.

By the way, in French there is a quite recent article by Moshe Lewin on the historical significance of the Russian revolution;

http://www.monde-diplomatique.fr/2007/11/LEWIN/15298

Kind regards

Martin