Re: [OPE] Leave the oil in the soil?

From: Patrick Bond (pbond@mail.ngo.za)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2008 - 13:02:04 EST

Hi folks,

Your pro-nuclear position is untenable from our vantagepoint in SA,
Paul, given that in 2006 we had our main power outage (affecting all of
Cape Town for a few days) due to a loose bolt that shut down the giant
Koeberg nuclear station, and that we're campaigning like mad to stop the
next-generation 'Pebble Bed' reactor technology. A chapter in a book
(Climate Change, Carbon Trading and Civil Society) I coedited by my
friend Muna Lakhani is available if you aren't convinced by
proliferation risks; he covers the full gamut of arguments.

The idea of 'trading rations' is a dangerous concession (made by
Contraction&Convergence and EcoEquity people) to the market, which is a
giant mess already, and cannot be cured by attempts to inject Rawlsian
equity, especially in the climate of neolib-neocon fusion we're now
suffering (and indeed will continue suffering thanks to the failure of
all the major Northern electorates, perhaps Norway excepted, to generate
even a single genuinely pro-peace government - and all because of oil).
Moreover, you buy into way too many neoclassical assumptions about value
measurements and efficiencies - and distract attention from the much
more substantive - and achievable - means of reducing emissions.

The transitional demands - I love that phrase (but please let's think of
them as non-reformist reforms, as Gorz had it, so that options like
nuclear quickly fall away) - would surely include payment of the vast
ecological debt y'all up North owe the South for using the rainforests
as a free sink, right? Or do you want to continue that form of
accumulation by dispossession unhindered? Nah.

As for Jurian, who's also a good comrade, how do you get the nerve to
attack the practical, life-saving program of the Niger Delta activists
or Ecuadoran indigenous people or progressives in Calgary and Oslo, and
Alaskan environmentalists and all the others who've made this demand,
some at the cost of their lives? Do you know how much money is drawn out
of Southern countries by the extractive industries? If you don't believe
me on the left, try the WB calculations from their 2006 book *Where is
the Wealth of Nations?*, which demonstrate using just four GDP
corrections - the main one for our purposes being depletion of
nonrenewable resources - that there is a net negative wealth creation
rate in most African countries, especially those suffering the Resource
Curse.

And if, armed with this stuff, you're interested in how to popularise a
"Leave the Oil in the Soil" campaign for solidarity with oppressed
people, and generalise it for the sake of the Planet, then it is indeed
a worthy challenge to work out the implications of cold-turkey fossil
fuel de-addiction project for Your People in Amsterdam, and mine in
Durban (especially me with a much larger CO2 footprint due to flying
around too much). That's work that should commence, not be rejected at
the outset of the conversation, comrade.

Patrick