RE: [OPE] Theory of trade, the world market and the state

From: GERALD LEVY (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2008 - 09:19:29 EST

Hi Jurriaan:

I'll address one topic at a time - taking one small bite at a time.
The first topic will be a theory of the state since theories of trade
and the world market *presume* a theory of the state (just
as you have correctly pointed out, imo, that theories of prices
presume a theories of value).

Before doing so, I'll reply to Dave: the reason _why_ the subjects
of classes, the state, trade, and the world market need greater
theorization is _not_ because they formed part of the 6-book-plan.
The reason is because they form essential parts of a theory of
capitalism. This was something that was understood better, I
think, by classical political economists like Smith and Ricardo
than by many Marxists since the former might be said to be
(whatever their other failings) more *systematically dialectical*
than the latter. That's because the former tended to keep their
focus on the real subject matter and the latter have largely
focused on hermeneutics (or, to the extent that they look at the
relal subject, it is generally through the prism of Marx).
> As regards the theory > of the state, there is also a very large literature on it, both historical > and theoretical, in many languages.

There have been significant steps in the direction of theorizing
the state under capitalism: most notably, Geert's and Mike W's
_Value-Form and the State_ (1989).

But, major parts of "the story" are missing.  For example, what
is the "very large" Marxian literature on PUBLIC FINANCE?

Not very large at all, as far as I know. There have been some
things written (e.g. in French) on this subject,  but what has
been written falls more in the category of concrete historical
studies on specific social formations.

Mainstream economics has a theory of public finance. Where
is the Marxian theory?