Re: [OPE] Great inventions & Alternative Nobel prize

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@buffalo.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2008 - 16:58:59 EST

Daniel McFadden's 2000 Noble prize is primarily motivated by his chapter in my edited book "Frontiers in Econometrics" (New York:
Academic Press).  Of course I was pleased.

He also takes decent stands when some of the winners take a common stance.

Paul

On Sat Mar  8 10:25 , Alejandro Agafonow <alejandro_agafonow@yahoo.es> sent:

http://improbable.com/ig/

>Some Nobel prizes in economics better match here.
>
>Of course, we have to consider seriously the alternative Nobel prize: The Right Livelihood Award http://www.rightlivelihood.org/
>
>It is granted to several issues but the laureates in economics are:
>

>2003
>Citizens' Coalition For Economic Justice, CCEJ (South Korea)
>”...for its rigorous wide-ranging reform programme, based on economic and social justice, accountability and reconciliation with
North Korea.”
>Sekem / Ibrahim Abouleish (Egypt)
>”...for a 21st century business model which combines commercial success with social and cultural development.”
>

>1996
>Herman Daly (USA)
>Honorary Award
>”...for defining a path of ecological economics that integrates the key elements of ethics, quality of life, environment and
community.”

>1991
>Edward Goldsmith (UK)
>Honorary Award
>”...for his uncompromising critique of industrialism and promotion of environmentally sustainable and socially just alternatives
to it.”

>1990
>Alice Tepper Marlin (USA)
>Honorary Award
>”...for showing the direction in which the Western economy must develop to promote the well-being of humanity.”
>

>1989
>Seikatsu Club Consumers' Cooperative (Japan)
>Honorary Award
>”...for creating the most successful, sustainable model of production and consumption in the industrialised world.”
>

>1987
>Frances Moore Lappé / Institute for Food and Development Policy (USA)
>”...for revealing the political and economic causes of world hunger and how citizens can help to remedy them.”
>

>1986
>Ladakh Ecological Development Group (India)
>”...for preserving the traditional culture and values of Ladakh against the onslaught of tourism and development.”
>

>1984
>Self-Employed Women's Association / Ela Bhatt (India)
>”...for helping home-based producers to organise for their welfare and self-respect.”
>

>1983
>Leopold Kohr (Austria)
>Honorary Award
>”...for his early inspiration of the movement for a human scale.”
>Amory and Hunter Lovins (USA)
>"...for pioneering soft energy paths for global security."
>Manfred Max-Neef (Chile)
>“…for revitalising small and medium-sized communities through ‘Barefoot Economics’.”
>

>1982
>Erik Dammann / The Future in Our Hands (Norway)
>Honorary Award
>"...for challenging Western values and lifestyles in order to promote a more responsible attitude to the environment and the
third world."
>Anwar Fazal (Malaysia)
>”...for fighting for the rights of consumers and helping them to do the same.”
>

>1981
>Mike Cooley (UK)
>”...for designing and promoting the theory and practice of human-centred, socially useful production.”
>

>Kind regards,
>Alejandro Agafonow
>

>Enviado desde Correo Yahoo!
>El correo favorito de los internautas..