Re: [OPE] England and Ireland

From: glevy@pratt.edu
Date: Fri Mar 21 2008 - 09:32:00 EDT

Hi Bapuji:

When one considers the complexities of actual
national struggles, it is
often difficult to sort out the different
sides since national struggles for
self-determination often receive
support from segments of  different classes
and also
receive opposition from segments of different classes.  It may
be the case, for instance, that workers outside of a region may
oppose
self-determination  in a region for national chauvinist
reasons. For Lenin,
the key question was which nation or nations are
oppressed nations
and which are oppressor nations. For the
former he supported the
right of self-determination, for the latter
her did not.  I think that's a useful way
to look at the
question (especially when placed within the historical