[OPE] Five years of war in Iraq: the master and his slave

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@tiscali.nl)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2008 - 09:50:51 EDT

Here's a humorous maverick blog by "Xmas" on Mr Bush's recent ultra-aggressive speech celebrating five years of war in Iraq ( http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/19/AR2008031901083.html ):

"One job I'd like to get is to be the guy who finds these hard-luck but ultra patriotic soldiers that are in every speech Dubya gives. Seems like an easy job, sounds like there's a million of people out there to choose from. I've never met one, but apparently they swarm the Earth like locusts. He can't seem to order from a Taco Bell without slipping one of these people in, can he?

Dubya: "Xmas, who'd you find for me today ol' buddy?"
Xmas: "Well Mr. President, I found Sgt. William Gibson from Main Street, USA. After the attacks on 9/11 he left his $2M/year job inspecting Hooters restaurants and his wife and 4 children to join the Army. He just wanted to do his part to defend freedom, Mr. President."
Dubya: "Heyooooooooo!"
Xmas: "Anyway, he got sent over to Iraq where he immediately got both legs blown off. He refused to leave his post, citing his aknowledgement of how important it is that all countries in the Middle East see how inspiring democracy is."
Dubya: "Rrrrrrrrama-lama-ding-dong, wheeeeeeww!!"
Xmas: "Unfortunately the next day he had the whole left side of his face blown off in an ambush, and both arms were lost as well. He was then sent to Walter Reed for treatment, where he started a volleyball team while stubbornly insisting he be sent back to his unit so that he could fight them over there and not over here - his words, sir."
Dubya: "Booooooyah!!!"
Xmas: "Well, then the rats at Walter Reed chewed off the rest of his face. But. That soldier. Sgt William Gibson. Today, he is being shipped back to Iraq to continue fighting. He refuses to give in - he knows that victory in Iraq is necessary to demonstrate U.S. resolve, sir."
Dubya: "Got a nickname?"
Xmas: "Spanky."
Dubya: "Xmas ol boy you did it again!" (slap on back)"
http://xmastime.blogspot.com/2008/03/william-spanky-gibson.html

What this blogger really left out, was the truly racist, imperialist mentality of "hero" William ("Spanky") Gibson in regard to a country located in what is historically the cradle of civil society:

[Spanky Gibson] characterized the situation in Iraq as a rebirth of a country, comparing it to the United States. "This is where we were 232 years ago as a new nation," he said. "Now they're starting a new nation, and that's one of my big reasons for coming back here." http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,333534,00.html

Actually, Iraq was doing very well by Middle East standards, until the Bush armies arrived on the scene. Not only that, they had a functioning water & electricity supply. The American media marketed Spanky's story as a symbol of valour and human achievement, but in reality it expresses total christofascist confusion about human society. Let's hope the people of Iraq will enlighten Spanky about the country he is hobbling around in.

Jurriaan