Re: [OPE] The Financial Times says the Left haven't got a clue

From: paul bullock (paulbullock@ebms-ltd.co.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2008 - 12:32:50 EDT

David,

AS  I understand you your sentences 1 and 2 of para two are contradictory, although you use the term 'characterisation'  to divorce the term 'drive' from any notion of necessity:
you nevertheless ( sentence 1, para 1) seem to accept that 'firms'  ( collectively capitalism) drive to expansion .  What am i think... that Hitler only 'characterised' his Third Empire with the name but didn;'t really want a bigger and better one that would last for 1000 years?

With respect to the cold war, you see the west as acting defensively... which seems to me to be really stopping any real analysis. (If this was the simple truth the 'Trotskysists' will be very disappointed since they think the USSR had given up the revolution). In any case the cold war was certainly perfect for the creation of a new sort of Kautskyism, by which we could conveniently ignore any notion that  monopoly capitalism   'is distinguished by a minimum fondness for peace and freedom, and  by a maximum and universal development of militarism'. ( guess who)

paul