RE: [OPE] Dialectics for the New Century

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2008 - 11:01:34 EDT

Hi Paul C:

All aspects of social relations of production can not be
be expressed as 'calculi'.  That is, in part, because there
are essential aspects of  those relations  which can not
be expressed  as *magnitude*  and are
comprehensable merely through formal/mathematical calculi.
--------------------

Quite right, Gerry,
but I was criticising your account of computing as being based on mathmatics,
my argument is that as a materialist one has to see the reverse relationship

material laws of physics -> allow practices of mechanisms -> possibility of maths
                           of computation

Maths arose out of concrete material practices associated with for instance
the measurement of land in order to apportion it between state tennants in ancient
Egypt, giving rise to geometry

The recording and tallying of sheep, cattle and other goods in the temple economies
of Summer gave rise to notations for number and practices of arithmetic for example.

The tallying of herds on tally sticks gave rise to the Roman system of number notation
which itself later became an encoding of the commercial practices of merchants
in the use to tally tables to do calculations in an abbacus like fashion.

Paul Cockshott
Dept of Computing Science
University of Glasgow
+44 141 330 1629